As someone said on Twitter, it was a bad week for people who like to put people in their place. Which means it was a bad week for the Republican Party. Various conservatives, from Justice Scalia on down (and it goes very far down indeed) reacted pretty much exactly like O’Bannion, the bullying asshole in Richard Linklater’s Dazed and Confused, who derives sadistic joy from hazing high-school freshies and gets his comeuppance at the end. The spectacle of a nominal adult driven to berserk but completely impotent rage (to the point of smashing his own beloved implement of harassment and humiliation) is, of course, highly entertaining.
- Phil Ford
- This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before
- Good prose is written by people who are not frightened
- Trump vs. Trudeau: An Analysis
- Time-binding and the music-history survey
- God save the queen!
- AMS annual meeting blog post, the “I’m not going” edition