So there are times when one wonders if one is only capable of three or four discrete ideas, and the rest of one’s life is spent riffing on them. When I’m feeling uninspired about blogging—yes, dear friends, it does happen from time to time—I take a hard look at my own stuff. Frankly, I sometimes suspect I’ve got about six or seven licks and that’s it.
1) An aspect of the interesting, poorly understood past that captivates my weird imagination.
2) Take Courage! Finish the dissertation and get the job! Life’s great!
3) New musical discovery; not sure what I think so I’ll cobble together a couple of sentences and leave it to you. Actually I’m sure what I think but don’t want to come off the two-dimensional opinionated jerk I’m more than capable of being.
4) I shore dew like the piano!
5) Damn, I’m busy writing. [Cue: “Cry Me A River,” by Joe Cocker.]
6) Sometimes students piss me off too, but it’s not as bad as you think. [I don’t know if it’s because I lead a protected existence, or because I have calluses.]
7) I like Randy Newman, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Springsteen, and select others. I will sing their praises, yea verily nigh unto apotheosis.
The thing is, even a demon improviser has set licks, yes, but he also expands his repertoire, develops, changes etc. In some ways I don’t feel as if I’ve caught up since my senior recital.
Will endeavor to have an actual thought or two for next time. If I catch up, get back to the piano, finish what I’m writing, discover a new discovery…