Satan, Oscillate My Metallic Sonatas

The Onion AV Club has a nice interview feature with Weird Al Yankovic this week. I have to admit that I never thought he was all that funny, but he’s the kind of guy who you sort of love anyway because he’s true what he does, he seems like a genuinely nice guy, and he’s been around long enough that you can’t remember him not being around. So when you see a new Weird Al video, it’s sort of comforting in the same way that watching Letterman is. It might be funny or it might not but you like it anyway because it’s one of Weird Al’s old honkytonk monkeyshines. You know you’d be sad if he died.*

There’s one Weird Al parody that’s real genius: his version of Bob Dylan’s Subterranean Homesick Blues.

The original:

The parody:

The gold standard of musical parodies is, of course, This is Spinal Tap. But you’ve all seen that. Here’s Eric Idle’s send-up of the Beatles (“The Rutles“) instead.

*And by “you” I mean “me.”

This entry was posted in Humor. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Satan, Oscillate My Metallic Sonatas

1. Scraps says:

The Weird Al song and video that are genius to me is the Devo pastiche, “Dare To Be Stupid”, which parodies their sound & act rather than a particular song.

2. I love this particular parody. I played it for a class last week.
    Alas, they didn’t get it. Even though I played the Dylan first.

3. Joshua Bradshaw says:

The Rutles are brilliant. Eric Idle and Neil Innes somehow managed to satirize all the fine details of the Beatles saga. My parents are both Beatles fans and my dad used to have a PAL copy of the Rutles on VHS that I basically watched to death. This was a great song but I think their satire of “All you need is love” is even more spot on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGKLmyTEoQ

4. Lisa Hirsch says:

I once had a copy of the Ruttles Dirty Weekend Songbook (or LP?) that got LOST – I think – when I moved to the West Coast. At least, the last time I remember seeing was when I lived on Long Island. That record is probably worth a fortune.

5. And by “you” I mean “me.”
    I know you know what you know
    but you should know by now
    that you’re not me….

6. Kip W says:

It’s like my brain has been violated. Scraps (hi Scraps!) points to my favorite Al video, and you use one of my phrases. I won’t point out which one. My only concern is that when I use it again some time, nobody better say I copied it from you. And by “you” I mean “you.”

Since I’ve never met you all and you all exist to me as assorted patterns of pixels on a screen (which itself is but a retinal extension), I am forced to conclude that you are nothing more than a projection of my imagination. You are, therefore, me.

8. Scott McLemee says:

Just noticed that the narrator is talking over the start of the Rutles song, which is a damned shame.
    The line “I know you what you know but you should know by now that you’re not me” seems like the best parodic opening ever.

Whoa, I hadn’t heard it! That’s trippy . . . it sounded like I was making an erudite Rutles joke, but I just got lucky. Scott, on the other hand, *was* making an erudite Rutles joke, and it was lost on me.
    I still think you’re just some Tyler Durdenesque projection of my imagination, though. I will be proven in this belief if you answer the way I think you will.

See, I knew that’s what you’d say.